Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Defined: The True Life Story

I take things from my sociology class and I just think about it. Today we were talking about how our items define us. The possessions we have really define us? Well, what about your designer clothes? or that brand new car? The more I thought about it, the less offended I became and the more I thought about how true that was. I know that I'm a teenage girl. All of my friends are materialistic, and no matter how much I deny it, so am I. We live in a judgmental world, and they judge your stuff. Seriously, people judge you right when you walk into a room based on what you're wearing or what you have in your hand. "No iPhone? You're not cool." "You are wearing Wal*Mart clothes?*gasp*" How shallow are we? I find it to be incredibly pathetic. Although, I am a part of that same group. It disgusts me that I could be so...ridiculous. Obviously those things aren't supposed to define us. Our heart is. Jesus came to this Earth with nothing, so why are we consumed with being consumers? Jesus lived a happy life...with nothing. Why can't we live happy lives without all the luxuries we have? I guess it's a hard pill to swallow. This idea of giving up things you have could actually make you happier? No way! Maybe just maybe, simplistic living could be the best and most happy way to live. Jesus tells us these things instead:


"The Jesus said to his disciples, "I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." -Matthew 19:23&24


"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are good, your whole body will be full of light. But if your eyes are bad, your whole body will be full of darkness, how great is that darkness! No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money." -Matthew 6:19-24


Feel free to comment. (:
xoxo,


Lauren

1 comment:

  1. I do think about this from time to time. It is really hard to not want all of the finer things. I think you have a pretty good balance. You never thought the world was going to end if you didn't get everything you wanted.

    ReplyDelete